Engagement with Stakeholders
Access a short video on the language competence and perceptions of new speakers of Gaelic in Scotland at the following link.
The Mother Tongues Initiative has been set up in Ireland by WG7 member Francesca La Morgia. The groups aims to inform and support families and communities to become bilingual. Many individuals supported by Mother Tongues are, or will become, new speakers. WG7 is keenly interested in the linguistic competence and varieties of these new speakers.
Other Stakeholder Events
- Agnieszka Otwinowska-Kasztelanic delivered a talk on Polish bilingual migrant children at the meeting for speech and language therapists during a Continuous Professional Development session. The talk reported on the outcomes of her project entitled "Phonological and Morpho- syntactic Features of Language and Discourse of Polish Children Raised Bilingually in Migrant Communities in Great Britain" (0094/NPRH3/H12/82/2014), carried out at the University of Warsaw, Poland in the years 2014-2016.The event was organised on 22 September 2015 by WG7 member Francesca LaMorgia at the Department of Clinical Speech & Language Studies, Trinity College Dublin. C.a. 40 Irish speech therapists were present.
- Agnieszka Otwinowska-Kasztelanic and Karolina Mieszkowska presented a lecture “Dwujęzyczność: zaleta czy wada? Trochę prawdy o dwujęzyczności” [Bilingualism an asset or a drawback? Some truth on bilinualism] at the Science Festival, University of Warsaw, 25 September 2016. C.a. 50 people participated in the lecture. The Warsaw Science Festival lasts for two weeks each September and consists of lectures and workshops presenting science to the general audience.
- September 2017: interview on the post doctoral research project in Argia, a Basque cultural magazine
- January 2017: Mahuvatko vähemmistökielet Eurooppaan? (Do the minority languags have a place in Europe?) A public lecture at Tieteen Päivät (Science Days, an event for non-researchers) University of Helsinki.
- April 2016: interviews on the subject of code-switching, new speakers and the PhD dissertation in Berria, the largest Basque-language newspaper, and on the Basque radio channels Euskadi Irratia and Bilbo hiri irratia.
Ane Ortega was involved in the following activities engaging stakeholdes:
Workshops with non-academic stakeholders
A number of workshops targeted at specific profiles of stakeholders are being planned with stakeholders such as language planners, teachers, instructors/coaches/teachers involved with youth and children in leisure and extra-curricular activities. So far one has been done and one more is already planned. The aim of these events is to share the results of our study and to identify good practices in Basque language promotion among NSB and make further suggestions for language planning.
- Amorrortu, E, Ortega, A. & Goirigolzarri, J. (2016). Seminar / workshop with stakeholders Zelan aktibatu hiztun berri gazteak? [How to activate young new speakers of Basque?]. University of Deusto, Bilbao, 17/11/2016.
The seminar/workshop gathered 30 participants involved with (young) new speakers of Basque, including school teachers, adult education teachers, Basque promoters in offices for the promotion of Basque from different municipalities, coaches and teachers of extracurricular activities, persons working in youth clubs and leisure activities clubs, and young new speakers themselves.
A follow-up workshop has been planned (dates to be confirmed).
Presentations to non-academic stakeholders
A number of presentations targeted at non-academic audiences have been organized (and more are being planned for 2017), with relevant agents such as language planners, teachers, instructors/coaches/teachers involved with youth and children in leisure and extra-curricular activities. The aim of these events is to share the results of our study among interested agents and open the door for possible workshops and discussion sessions.
- Ortega, A. (2017). Participation in round table “Geureak eta inorenak: kultura, identitatea eta transmisioa” [Ours and everybody’s: culture, identity and transmission]. Organized by Labayru Fundazioa. Bilbao: 30/0372017. (Labayru Foundation is an institute dedicated to Basque teaching (Biscayan dialect), and research on Basque anthropology and ethnography).
- Amorrortu, E., Ortega, A, Goirigolzarri, J. (2016). Presentation of the then newly published book Euskal Hiztun berriak: esperientziak, jarrerak eta identitateak [New speakers of Basque: experiencies, attitudes and identities) at the annual Durango Basque Book Fair. Durango, 04/12/2016.
Open access or summer courses or presentations/workshops (with a strong component of educators but not only)
The following include participation in open courses on new speakers and lectures. Although the audience is mostly made up of Basque teachers working at school or in adult education centres, these courses are open to the general public, and university students and language promoters have also been attending them. Where relevant, the make-up of the audience has been specified.
- Ortega, A, (July 2017). “Logros y retos de la escuela en el logro de neohablantes activos euskaldunes” [Achievements and challenges of school in producing active new Speakers of Basque]. Lecture at the University of the Basque Country (EHU/UPV) Summer Course Nuevos hablantes de lenguas minorizadas: escuela y sociedad [New Speakers of Minority Languages: Education and Society]. Bilbao, 15-16/07/2017.
- Ortega, A. & Diaz de Gereñu, L. (2017). “Euskararen biziberritzea eta Eskola” [“Basque Revitalization and Education”]. Lecture/workshop at the course Euskararen biziberritzea: marko, diskurtso eta praktikarako aukera berriak birpentsatzen [Basque revitalization: revising new opportunities for a new framework, new discourses and new practices]. Organized by Oihaneder Euskararen Etxea-Basque Centre. Vitoria-Gasteiz, 31/01/2017.
- Ortega, A. (2016). “Euskara ikasi, euskaldun bihurtu?” [Learning Basque automatically brings about becoming a Basque speaker?]. Invited talk for the official opening of the Basque Adult Education 2016-2017 academic year in Navarre. Iruña-Pamplona, 11/10/2016. (Especially directed to Basque language teachers, it included Navarre Government Culture, Education and Basque Language Policy authorities.)
- Ortega, A. “Euskararen biziberritzea eta Eskola” [“Basque revitalization and education”]. Lecture at the UEU-Basque Summer University course Euskararen biziberritzea: marko, diskurtso eta praktikarako aukera berriak birpentsatzen [Basque revitalization: revising new opportunities for a new framework, new discourses and new practices]. Eibar, 01/07/2016. (The course was organized by COST members Jone Goirigolzarri and Ibon Manterola and gathered a diverse audience that included adult education and school teachers and Basque language promotion technicians.)
Presentations, workshops and discussion sessions with local communities
These are events organized for the general public by Cultural Centres or Basque associations.
- Amorrortu, E. & Ortega, A. (2017). “Hiztun berrien esperientziak herri oso euskaldunetan” [New Speakers´ experiences in highly Basque-speaking towns]. Invited by the Basque Language Department of the municipality of Zumaia, Gipuzkoa. Zumaia, 15/02/2017. At: http://baleike.eus/zumaia/1487243546589
Participation in workshops/events with other types of stakeholders
- Ortega, A. (2016). COST Action IS1306 Workshop with actor Grid Iron for the development of a performance/play on the topic “What does it mean to speak a minority language?: Dispelling myths and raising awareness through theatre”. Heriot-Watt University, 2016/04/15.
Dissemination addressed to the general public (Basque society in general) through mass-media
These include typically interviews given to newspapers, non-specialist journals, radio and television programmes.
- Ortega, A. & Goirigolzarri, J. (2017). Interview on the Basque new speakers project on Basque TV (EITB) Ahoz aho programme, with Kike Amonarriz and Ilaski Serrano. Bilbao, 29/03/2017. (Ahoz aho is an afternoon high-audience programme on current affairs, opinion, and Basque culture of the Basque channel of Basque television.) In: http://www.eitb.tv/eu/bideoa/ahoz-aho/5624/117737/2017-03-29/ (in minute 30).
- Ortega, A. (2017). Interview for Basque radio Radio Euskadi by Goizalde Landabaso in Hágase la luz programme on the newly published book. EITB-Basque radio and TV channel, Bilbao, 15/01/2017. At http://www.eitb.eus/es/radio/radio-euskadi/programas/hagase-la-luz/detalle/4592775/hiztun-berriak-ane-ortegaradio-euskadi/
- Goirigolzarri, J. & Ortega, A. (2016). Interview at Bizkaia Irratia, Biscayan radio station, on the newly published book Euskal Hiztun berriak: esperientziak, jarrerak eta identitateak [New speakers of Basque: experiencies, attitudes and identities]. Bizkaia Irratia, 04/12/2016.
- Amorrortu, E. & Ortega, A. (2016). Interview on the Basque new speakers project on the Basque-TV (EITB) Azpimarra programme. EITB, Bilbao, 2016/02/24. (Azpimarra is an afternoon high-audience programme on current affairs, opinion, and Basque culture of the Basque channel of Basque television.)
- Ane Ortega together with her Basque project colleagues Esti Amorrortu and J. Goirigolzarri gave a talk: “Hizkuntza transmisio ereduak: hiztun berriak euskara familian transmititzen ari dira?” Euskararen Nazioarteko Eguna 2015 during the International Basque Language Day 2015] (Bilbao, 2015/12/03)
- Ane Ortega and Esti Amorrortu gave an interview about the Basque new speakers project on Basque TV Azpimarra programme. EITB (Basque television), Bilbao, 24 February 2016. (Azpimarra is a maximum audience afternoon programme on current affairs and cultural events).
- Ane Ortega took part at the Basque Summer University-UEU course “Euskararen biziberritzea: marko, diskurtso eta praktikarako aukera berriak birpentsatzen” [Basque revitalization: revising new opportunities for a new framework, new discourses and new practices] with the 1 ½ hour lesson “Euskararen biziberritzea eta Eskola” [“Basque revitalization and education”]. Eibar, 1 July 2016.